Front: Don Braden, Saxophone, Flute, Alto flute.
(Photo Credit Christopher Drukker)
Submit Your Script
Thank you for your interest in our theatre.
Please review the following submission guidelines very carefully before submitting. If the guidelines are not properly adhered to, we can not guarantee that your script will be reviewed.
At Luna Stage, we are committed to nurturing excellence in playwriting, in all phases of development. We are interested in works by diverse voices that have clearly been written for the stage, as opposed to other mediums. We look for well-told stories, in all shapes and configurations. We are attracted to writing that has a depth and a texture in its language and characters, and/or a novel use of structure. We produce material of all genres, but look for work that transcends its immediate story to resonate with audiences on many levels.
Please review Luna Stage's production history prior to submitting to get a sense of what type of work we tend to produce, and to gauge whether or not your work might be a good match for us. Please note that on the second Monday of every month (from October to May), we hold a New Moon Play Reading. We often select work for further development from these readings.
Who Can Submit
- Luna Stage accepts script submissions from playwrights who are currently represented by a theatrical agent, hold an MFA in playwriting, or are currently enrolled in an MFA playwriting program.
- If a playwright does not meet the criteria listed above but still wishes to submit a play to Luna Stage, we will accept a script if it is accompanied by a letter of recommendation from the Artistic Director or Literary Manager of an Equity theatre or a professional organization that focuses solely on the development of new works for the stage.
- Additionally, Luna Stage will accept open submissions of 20-page samples from playwrights who make their permanent residence in the state of New Jersey.
PLEASE NOTE: Playwrights with agent representation are welcomed, and even encouraged, to submit their work on their own. The scripts do not need to come from the agent. Just indicate the name and contact information of your agent on the script or in your cover letter.
If you have any questions about whether or not you meet any of these criteria, please e-mail email@example.com.
What To Submit
Please read the following submission requirements very carefully, as our guidelines have recently changed.
Script submissions will be accepted from September 15th through April 15th.
Please limit your submission to one script per season, unless additional materials are specifically requested. As of September 2016, we only accept electronic submissions of scripts.
A) If you are a playwright who meets the criteria listed above in #1 or #2 and this is the first time you have ever submitted your work to Luna Stage, please send us an email cover letter including all of your contact information and the relevant development and/or production history of the play. To this email, please attach the following in PDF form (The name of all attached files should contain your first and last name)
- A resume, a synopsis of the play, and any relevant press materials (optional). Please note that a synopsis should be just that: a brief (no more than 1 page) description of the events of your play, from beginning to end. Please do not include a promotional blurb or a review in place of a synopsis. These may be separate PDFs or combined into one PDF.
- A clean copy of the full script as a PDF.
- For submissions of musical theatre, please consider the size of our space prior to submitting (a 99 seat black box), and follow the same submission guidelines as listed above. Please also include links to recordings of musical selections or attach MP3s.
- If you are NOT currently represented by a theatrical agent, do NOT hold an MFA in playwriting, or are NOT currently enrolled in an MFA playwriting program, you must include a letter of recommendation from the Artistic Director or Literary Manager of an Equity theatre or a professional organization that focuses solely on the development of new works for the stage in order for your submission to be considered. This letter may be emailed directly from the individual writing the recommendation, but your name must be in the subject line of their email.
B) If you are a playwright making your permanent residence in the state of New Jersey, and you have never submitted your work to Luna Stage in the past, we will accept a 20-page sample of your work as an open submission. Please follow the same submission requirements listed above (in section A), but instead of submitting a whole script, please submit only a 20-page sample. It is strongly suggested that you include the first 20 pages of a given text as opposed to a section from the middle of a play.
C) If you are a playwright who meets our criteria for submission but has previously submitted work to Luna Stage, prior to submitting again, please send an e-mail query to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please do not send attachments with this e-mail. In the body of the e-mail, please write a short note with a brief description of the play you wish to submit. Please wait for a response prior to submitting.
Send all submissions to:
You can expect a turn-around time of 3-6 months on script submissions. We thank you in advance for your patience and for your interest in our theatre.