Shows and Events Calendar
May 15 - May 16, 2017
The 5th Annual New Moon Short Play Reading Festival
Luna Stage is Now Accepting Submissions for the 5th Annual
New Moon Reading Series
Short Play Festival
This season, the festival will feature the work of New Jersey-based writers only and will be presented at 7:30pm on Monday, May 15, and Tuesday, May 16, 2017 at Luna Stage in West Orange, NJ.
Luna Stage is now accepting submissions of:
Monologues of up to 5 minutes in length
Short Plays between 5 and 10 minutes in length
- Playwrights of all career levels making their home in New Jersey may apply.
- All submitted plays should be complete works. They should not be excerpts or scenes from a longer work. Monologues from a series or book of monologues may be submitted.
- Plays may be new or previously performed/produced. Plays must be performed by a maximum of five actors and have minimal staging requirements.
- There are two categories of submission: "Non-Professional" and "Professional." The criteria for submitting in the "Professional" category is having had a full-length play produced by a professional theatre company.
- All submitted plays will be assessed within their submission categories and 6-10 plays from each category of submission will be selected for inclusion in the two-day festival.
- The festival will consist of two days of short play presentations. Each selected play will be performed ONCE on ONE day of the festival. All featured playwrights MUST be present for the day of the festival on which their play appears. There will be a talkback with the audience following the presentation of the plays on each day.
- The festival will be advertised as an evening of readings of short plays. Plays may be performed on book or off, but the evening will be advertised as an evening of short play readings.
- All selected plays in the "Non-Professional" category will be assigned a director. All playwrights selected in the "Professional" category will be responsible for identifying a director for their play. All directors in both submission categories will be responsible for casting, and we encourage the use of Luna Stage's extended community of very talented local actors. Each director/playwright will be responsible for arranging all rehearsals off site.
- There will be a tech/dress rehearsal at Luna Stage on the afternoon of Monday, May 15th and Tuesday, May 16th for each evening of plays. Each play will be given a time slot between 12pm and 5pm. The director and cast (and ideally the playwright) must be available for this assigned time slot.
- Please note: there is no fee to apply to our festival and there is no financial award for inclusion in the festival. All directors and actors will be asked to donate their time.
Playwrights interested in submitting should go to this LINK and fill out the submission form. Upon completion of the form, playwrights should email their play to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please submit your play as a PDF, and include "Short Play Festival" in the subject line.
Playwrights may only submit one play for consideration.
The deadline for submission is February 20th, 2017.
Selected plays will be announced by April 1st, 2017 and will be posted on the Luna Stage website.
For questions and further information, please contact email@example.com.